Tuesday, March 1, 2011
© Copyright 2015
Gwinnett Daily Post
LAWRENCEVILLE — An autopsy showed that a 26-year-old Lawrenceville man died from smoke and soot inhalation in a Sunday duplex fire, according to the Gwinnett Medical Examiner’s Office.
Firefighters found Kevin Haynes’ body when they responded about 6 p.m. to a one-story duplex in the 50 block of Curtis Road near downtown Lawrenceville.
Fire investigators believe Haynes committed suicide and made no attempt to leave the home. A crew found him on a couch in a front room, said Fire Department spokesman Capt. Thomas Rutledge.
Evidence shows the fire was started with gasoline in a back room and sent smoke and heat throughout the structure, Rutledge said.
Haynes is believed to have lived at the residence, where damages were mostly contained to contents inside the unit. Nobody else was home, officials said.
The fire was brought under control at 6:28 p.m. No other injuries were reported, and the adjoining unit was not damaged, officials said.