0

20 employees evacuated after ammonia leak

Photo by Kristen Ralph

Photo by Kristen Ralph

DORAVILLE -- Twenty employees were evacuated from a Doraville business and a neighborhood was locked down due to an anhydrous ammonia leak Sunday night, officials said.

The hazmat incident was reported at 8:15 p.m. by an employee of Nordic Cold Storage in the 4300 block of Pleasantdale Road.

Gwinnett fire crews found an extensive vapor cloud showing from the roof of the large one-story commercial building on arrival and assisted with the evacuation.

Hazmat technicians from Gwinnett and DeKalb agencies entered the building and quickly located and isolated a leaking valve, said Gwinnett County Fire Department spokesman Lt. Eric Eberly.

Authorities asked residents in a nearby subdivision to remain indoors after firefighters found slightly elevated readings behind the building, Eberly said.

The incident was declared under control in about 30 minutes. No injuries were reported.