Monday, June 27, 2011
© Copyright 2014
Gwinnett Daily Post
DORAVILLE -- Twenty employees were evacuated from a Doraville business and a neighborhood was locked down due to an anhydrous ammonia leak Sunday night, officials said.
The hazmat incident was reported at 8:15 p.m. by an employee of Nordic Cold Storage in the 4300 block of Pleasantdale Road.
Gwinnett fire crews found an extensive vapor cloud showing from the roof of the large one-story commercial building on arrival and assisted with the evacuation.
Hazmat technicians from Gwinnett and DeKalb agencies entered the building and quickly located and isolated a leaking valve, said Gwinnett County Fire Department spokesman Lt. Eric Eberly.
Authorities asked residents in a nearby subdivision to remain indoors after firefighters found slightly elevated readings behind the building, Eberly said.
The incident was declared under control in about 30 minutes. No injuries were reported.