Photo by Brian Giandelone
DULUTH -- Lane closures that began Monday night on Interstate 85 will continue throughout the week as construction crews install overhead signage for the new express lane system, according to the Georgia Department of Transportation.
The I-85 express lanes project includes installation of 16 miles of fiber and signage along I-85 between Chamblee-Tucker Road and Old Peachtree Road and along Ga. Highway 316 between I-85 and Riverside Parkway.
Crews will be working day and night to install more than 60 new signs needed for this project. Daytime work, scheduled to take place today through Thursday in Gwinnett and DeKalb counties, will take place from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. in northbound lanes and 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. in southbound lanes, between peak commute hours, according to a news release.
At night, both directions of the High Occupancy Vehicle lanes will close in the work zones. Closures started Monday night and will happen through Saturday. Northbound lane closures will begin at 10 p.m. and continue to 5 a.m. the next day, the news release states. Southbound lane closures will begin at 8 p.m. and continue to 5 a.m. the next day
Up to three lanes will be closed nightly, but these triple lane closures will only occur after midnight. Traffic will be paced one to three times as needed between midnight and 4 a.m.
The construction schedule is as follows:
* Work will occur today on I-85 north and south, closing the HOV lanes from the Dawson Boulevard overpass to about one mile south of Jimmy Carter Boulevard.
* Overnight work is planned tonight along the median wall from north of Jimmy Carter Boulevard to Beaver Ruin Road. A second work zone will be in place along I-85 south from Chamblee-Tucker Road to Jimmy Carter Boulevard. A third work zone will close I-85 north from Lawrenceville-Suwanee Road for one mile north.
* Work on Wednesday will close the HOV lane on I-85 south from the Dawson Boulevard overpass to about one mile south of Jimmy Carter Boulevard.
* On Wednesday night, crews will work along the median wall from Jimmy Carter Boulevard to Indian Trail Road. A second work zone will be set up on I-85 south from Boggs Road to north of Old Peachtree Road.
* Work on Thursday will close the HOV lanes on I-85 north and south from Chamblee-Tucker Road to Interstate 285.
* On Thursday night, crews will work along the median wall from Jimmy Carter Boulevard to Indian Trail Road. A second work zone will be set up on I-85 south from Boggs Road to north of Old Peachtree Road.
* On Friday night, the HOV lane will be closed on I-85 north from Beaver Ruin Road to Boggs Road.
* On Saturday night, work on I-85 south will close lanes from Boggs Road to north of Old Peachtree Road.