Thursday, July 21, 2011
© Copyright 2013
Gwinnett Daily Post
BUFORD — Lightning sparked a fire that damaged the upper floors of a Buford home Thursday evening, officials said.
Gwinnett County firefighters arrived at the scene on the 4700 block of Allison Drive at about 7:45 p.m., finding heavy flames showing from the attic of the two-story home, spokesman Capt. Thomas Rutledge said.
Flames began dropping down to the second floor as firefighters battled the blaze, but crews were able to contain the blaze. The first floor sustained residual smoke and water damage, Rutledge said.
No injuries were reported, and a single resident home at the time was able to escape when he was alerted by a neighbor, Rutledge said.
The cause of the fire was determined to be a lightning strike as result of a storm moving through the area.