0

NATION IN BRIEF: Court demands Twitter info for WikiLeaks

Court demands Twitter info for WikiLeaks

LONDON — U.S. investigators have gone to court to demand details about WikiLeaks’ Twitter account, according to documents obtained Saturday — the first revelation about the criminal case Washington is trying to build against those who leaked classified U.S. documents.

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange said he believed other American Internet companies such as Facebook and Google may also have been ordered to divulge information on himself and colleagues.

The U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia issued a subpoena ordering Twitter Inc. to hand over private messages, billing information, telephone numbers, connection records and other information about accounts run by Assange and others.

The subpoena also targeted Pfc. Bradley Manning, the U.S. Army intelligence analyst suspected of supplying the site with classified information; Birgitta Jonsdottir, an Icelandic parliamentarian and one-time WikiLeaks collaborator; and Dutch hacker Rop Gonggrijp and U.S. programmer Jacob Appelbaum, both of whom have worked with WikiLeaks in the past.

Charged with beheading wife, man claims abuse

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. — It has been nearly two years since Muzzammil Hassan directed police officers in this serene Buffalo suburb to the decapitated remains of his estranged wife inside the Muslim-oriented television station the couple ran.

With his second-degree murder trial set to start, the question for jurors may be less about whether Hassan killed Aasiya Zubair Hassan, 37, after she filed for divorce than about why.

While behind bars, Hassan, 45, has been laying the groundwork for a battered-spouse defense, reaching out to reporters and others to say he acted in self-defense after suffering years of physical and emotional trauma.

The claims would be part of the defense case, Hassan’s attorney, Jeremy Schwartz, said Friday. Jury selection is scheduled to begin Monday.

AWOL soldier ordered to finish Afghanistan tour

CLARKSVILLE, Tenn. — A Kentucky soldier who went AWOL after he said the military wasn’t treating his mental health issues has been ordered to deploy to finish his tour in Afghanistan.

Spc. Jeff Hanks, who turned himself in on Veterans Day, said his command has ordered him to return to Afghanistan immediately and he expects to leave within days on a flight back to his unit.

The Fort Campbell-based soldier told The Associated Press on Friday that he still believes his issues have not been adequately treated.

Foreign TV star slain, castrated at NYC hotel

NEW YORK — A celebrity Portuguese television journalist was found castrated and bludgeoned to death in a New York City hotel, and his companion, a male model who had recently been a contestant on a Portuguese reality TV show, was in police custody Saturday.

The journalist, 65-year-old Carlos Castro, had arrived in the U.S. in late December in the company of his young boyfriend, the model Renato Seabra, to see some Broadway shows and spend New Year’s Eve in Times Square, according to a family friend.

No charges had been filed against Seabra as of Saturday afternoon, the New York Police Department said.

Unclaimed vets buried in NY with full honors

GARDEN CITY, N.Y. — A New York cemetery has held a mass funeral for 20 military veterans whose remains were never claimed.

They were buried Saturday with full military honors at Calverton National Cemetery on eastern Long Island.

All of them died recently.

The Department of Veterans Affairs says the service is part of a national effort to clear a backlog of unburied or unclaimed veterans’ remains.

Pileup of about 40 vehicles shuts interstate

CANTERBURY, N.H. — New Hampshire State Police said a chain-reaction interstate pileup of about 40 vehicles including two buses during whiteout conditions injured at least nine people. There are no reports of fatalities. The early afternoon accident shut down Interstate 93. Police said it was snowing and the road was ice-covered.