Monday, February 7, 2011
© Copyright 2013
Gwinnett Daily Post
NORCROSS — Two Norcross apartment buildings were evacuated Monday night as emergency crews worked to repair a natural gas leak, officials said.
Gwinnett County firefighters responded to the Aldrewood Apartments on Sunrise Village Lane just after 6 p.m., finding a utility company installing cable had struck a service line while digging between the two buildings, spokesman Capt. Tommy Rutledge said.
Approximately 20 people in the nearby buildings were evacuated as Atlanta Gas Light crews worked to stop the leak, Rutledge said.
“The gas line was a multi-directional feed and required the gas company to dig in several locations to completely stop the leak,” Rutledge said.
The leak was stopped at about 9:30 p.m., and those evacuated were allowed to return to their apartments at 10 p.m., he said.