0

PEOPLE IN BRIEF: Baltimore cuts off funding for Poe House

Baltimore cuts off funding for Poe House

BALTIMORE — Baltimore cut funding for the Edgar Allan Poe House and Museum, one of the strongest links between the literary icon and the city that claims him as its own.

The Poe House must become self-sustaining by the middle of next year or it will close, curator Jeff Jerome and city officials said Friday.

The museum hasn’t received any money from the city’s general fund since last summer, when Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake pushed through a package of spending cuts and tax increases to close a $121 million budget deficit. Instead, it’s been running on money that Jerome has raised over the years.

Obama hosts Super Bowl bash with mixed feelings

WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama might not be able to grin and (Chicago) Bear it, but he’s throwing a Super Bowl party anyway, his beloved hometown team falling one game short of the title tilt.

Which part of Sunday’s activities might give him the most heartburn? The Bears’ archrivals, the Green Bay Packers, fighting it out with the Pittsburgh Steelers? The Wisconsin sausage in the gift baskets carted in by Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett? The pregame interview with Fox’s Bill O’Reilly?

Fox is televising the game, so Obama is keeping with tradition — he sat down with CBS’ Katie Couric last year and NBC’s Matt Lauer the year before.

O’Reilly said he believed it ‘‘will be the most watched interview of all time.’’

Amanda Knox lawyers seek to stop Lifetime

ROME — Lawyers for U.S. student Amanda Knox and her ex-boyfriend, who were convicted of killing Knox’s British roommate, have formally demanded that U.S. television channel Lifetime scrap a planned film about their trial.

Attorneys Carlo Dalla Vedova and Luca Maori said Saturday they had sent letters to Lifetime warning they would go to court to try to sequester the film if it isn’t canceled and a trailer removed from Lifetime’s website.

‘‘Amanda Knox: Murder on Trial in Italy,’’ is due to air Feb. 21.

Knox and ex-boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito were convicted in 2009 of sexually assault and murder and sentenced to 26 and 25 years.