LETTERS: Tebow cartoon 'tasteless'

I am so ashamed of the Gwinnett Daily Post and other news media for attacking Tim Tebow for his religious beliefs. We are a nation of great diversity and we are supposed to be sensitive to all political, religious beliefs and practices. That is unless you are Christian.

This country was founded by people seeking religious freedom. And here we are again erasing our history because it may offend some people. Where are our rights now when a man cannot "take a knee" and pray to his God without papers such as yours printing tasteless cartoons depicting Jesus telling him to "lighten up."

I have purchased my last Gwinnett Daily Post and will encourage anyone else who has a strong love of God and Country to do the same.

-- Terisa S. Wright,

Snellville

Comments

kevin 2 years, 8 months ago

a lot of people agree with you. The GDP should have left that alone. Everyone seems to be attacking Christians. I guess they just can't handle people that follow a faith. People should worry about their own lives instead of the lives of others. I guess they are just envious of others who have the faith no matter what.

Jan 2 years, 8 months ago

I do agree, Kevin, "People should worry about their own lives instead of the lives of others." The problem is that Tebow wants to use his status to push his religious beliefs onto others and that is what opens him up to criticism. He has a right to express his opinions but so do the cartoonist. I do not suggest censoring him. Why do you want to censor those that have a different opinion?

RamProud 2 years, 8 months ago

Jan, please tell us all how Tebow is "pushing" his religious beliefs on to others. Because he bows in prayer? Your comment makes it sound like he forces everyone in the stadium to bow with him.

There is a big difference her in Tebow and the cartoonist. Tebow bows in prayer out of respect for his God. The cartoonist drew the cartoon with the purpose of disrespecting a person. If anyone was being pushy about their views, it would be the cartoonist and the editor of the paper who chose to print it.

Jan 2 years, 8 months ago

First, he can pray without the body language that says "look at me, I am praying", second, according to my research, he does not limit his public demonstrations of his faith to silent prayer but pushes to involve others in captive audience situations. From the Bible quotes of Jesus, prayer in public is the way of the hypocrite. Matthew 6 verse 5 and Matthew 23 verse 14. Prayer is a private activity between the believer and God. When he makes it public, he then is involving himself in public discourse and is opening up for those with opposing views.

RamProud 2 years, 8 months ago

your research intrigues me as i have yet to find anything that says his teammates have a problem with it. It is my opinion that you are stretching it very far in comparing Tim Tebow with the hypocrites that Jesus is referring to in these passages. In a world that is full of so much evil, i find it hard to understand why so many are offended by a person bowing in the endzone and having a silent word of prayer. Did Tebow call up the media before this started and have them set up their cameras in a purposeful way so he would get the most attention? I think not. But at the end of the day, you and I could both agree that America is a great place where we all can have our own opinions and worship in a way we choose without fear of someone kicking in our door and hauling us to prison. I wish the media would understand this better than they do and show more grace in allowing someone to bow on a knee without poking fun.

Jan 2 years, 8 months ago

My apologies for not being more clear. I did not say that teammates voiced any objection to being pressured into prayer. If I were his teammate, I would not voice an objection. I have been in situations that I felt public prayer was inappropriate and someone in the group pushed to have a prayer and did not voice my objections. I agree that we have a world full of evil. Frequently brought about by people of faith. Sometimes Muslim jihadist and some times Christian fundamentalist that justify assassinations of doctors. Emphasizing your prayer time in public does nothing to reduce evils in the world. My biblical references were to clarify my position that prayer should be a private communication, not a public display and not intended to imply that Tebow was a hypocrite. I do believe that Tebow and other "born again"s would get a better understanding of Biblical lessons if they would read the entire Bible and not limit it to those sections covered in church.

jack 2 years, 8 months ago

To me, Tebow praying is no different than any other player's demonstrations after scoring a touchdown. The cartoonist has the right to express his opinion, just as one has the right to disagree. If one is true to their religious convictions, then the "slings and arrows" from others should have no impact. I wonder if the outcry over this cartoon would have been as strident if it were a depiction of Islam, or some other religion.

@Jan- Good to see you back.

HeelGirl 2 years, 8 months ago

Tebow should be able to pray in public without fear of ridicule. "Deny Me and I will deny you before my Father...". Good for Tebow for standing up for his faith and shame on GDP for slamming him. Oh, and I can guarantee if his faith was anything other than Christian it would never have caused a stir. It is P.C. to slam Christians...I am so sick of Political Correct. Seriously.

CAROL12 2 years, 8 months ago

I AM A CHRISTIAN AND I AM NOT ASHAMED TO TELL THE WORLD THAT I ADMIRE TEBOW AND ANYONE ELSE THAT OPENLY AND OUTWARDLY STAND OR KNEEL IN THEIR FAITH. THE DEVIL TAKES OUR WEEKNESSES AND USES THEM AGAINST US. MY PRAYER IS THAT EVERYONE DECIDES TO STAY STRONG IN THEIR FAITH AND CONVICTIONS. DON'T LIGHTEN UP, STAND UP AND SPEAK UP. AND TO THE AUTHOR OF THE ARTICLE I PRAY THAT YOU COME TO OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST AND BEG FOR HIS FORGIVENESS BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE.