Gwinnett DA testifies in Connecticut in Kramer case

LAWRENCEVILLE -- Gwinnett District Attorney Danny Porter flew to Connecticut this week to personally weigh in on the extradition status of DragonCon founder and child molestation suspect Ed Kramer, who is contesting Georgia's bid to extradite him.

Porter left Atlanta Tuesday night for Hartford, where he was scheduled to identify Kramer during an extradition hearing and make clear Georgia's intent to prosecute him on child molestation charges in Gwinnett. Kramer and his defense attorney have claimed that local prosecutors aren't interested in extraditing him, Porter said.

"I've never testified in an extradition hearing, but I think the attorney general's office up there is concerned that (Kramer will) be able to convince a judge of his false claim," Porter told the Daily Post.

Kramer's public defender in Connecticut did not return a call for comment Wednesday.

Kramer was arrested in Milford, Conn. in September after police reportedly found him alone in a motel room with a 14-year-old boy, a violation of his bond in Gwinnett. The following month, Kramer met the requirements of a $250,000 bond and was released.

In Connecticut, Kramer could face up to 10 years in prison on felony risk of injury to a child charges. He has not been accused of having sexual contact with the boy.

After making bond, Kramer was taken back into custody after Porter and other officials requested Connecticut's governor's office issue a warrant based on his pending extradition. Unlike in Georgia, that state's correctional system handles pretrail detainees.

"The interesting thing is, as (Kramer's) made more and more medical complaints, they've moved him further into the system," Porter said. "Last thing I heard, he was in a maximum security prison."

In Gwinnett, Kramer faces up to 60 years in prison, based on accusations dating back as far as 2000 by three teenage boys who told authorities he'd coerced them into sex.

Kramer's day in court has been delayed multiple times across the ensuing decade by claims he was in ill health and various other motions by his attorneys. He spent a few months in the Gwinnett County Jail in 2000 and 2001 but had been on bond since, with stipulations forbidding contact with children and that he check in weekly.

The latest boy in question was in Connecticut acting in a low-budget horror movie. Witnesses told Porter that Kramer had referred to himself as the boy's guardian, and that the boy had answered the motel door in a bathrobe as Kramer sat on the bed.

One key witness who implicated Kramer as being alone with the boy -- Nick Vallas, an assistant director on the movie shoot -- died in a single-vehicle crash in October in Connecticut. "He went through a telephone pole," Porter said.

Porter has said he's prepared to summon witnesses and try Kramer's case in a matter of weeks, should Kramer be returned to Gwinnett. The outlook on when that may happen isn't clear, pending resolution of the Connecticut case.

"I feel confident we'll eventually get him to Georgia for trial," Porter said. "A time frame, I just don't know."


catperson2 3 years, 8 months ago

This Kramer character is such a coward, I hope Mr. Porter nails his hide to the jailhouse wall.


Mary47 3 years, 8 months ago

Thank you sweet Jesus. I have been praying for this to come to an end. We have been waiting for over 10 yrs., while he walks free. My boys are not boys any longer. They are grown and they want to put this all behind them.


Sign in to comment