0

Carbon monoxide poisoning hospitalizes 3 at Lawrenceville home

LAWRENCEVILLE -- Three Lawrenceville residents were hospitalized this morning with carbon monoxide poisoning after they used a generator to power an appliance in their home while they slept, officials said.

A resident at the Bridle Path Drive home called 911 about 5:30 a.m. to report feeling sick and that "something was wrong," said Gwinnett County Fire Department spokesman Lt. Eric Eberly.

Emergency crews found one man with an obvious medical condition at the home and called for additional units to assist. A hazardous materials team discovered "extremely high levels" of carbon monoxide in the home, Eberly said.

Two other residents -- a woman and teenage male -- were transported with the other victim for emergency care at Gwinnett Medical Center. No other injuries were reported.

Firefighters traced the source of the carbon monoxide to a generator running in an enclosed garage.

"The generator was being utilized to power a small heating appliance, due to the home's power being cut off," Eberly said.