Sunday, August 21, 2011
© Copyright 2015
Gwinnett Daily Post
LAWRENCEVILLE -- Mall officials called the shooting that left a 14-year-old boy wounded outside Discover Mills over the weekend an "isolated incident" Monday, as police continued the search for suspects.
According to a police report released Monday, the young victim and four friends were exiting the mall near Burlington Coat Factory at about 9 p.m. Saturday when another group of males started "talking trash." After being confronted, a light-skinned male described as wearing all black and a ponytail reportedly pulled "some kind of revolver" from his waistband.
As the victim and his friends scattered, witnesses reported hearing the unidentified suspect -- believed to be in his late teens or early 20s -- fire three shots.
The 14-year-old boy let out "a loud scream" before friends noticed he had been shot in the upper back, according to the report. He was later transported to Egleston Children's Hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
Gwinnett County police spokesman Cpl. Jake Smith said Monday that no suspects had been identified.
Smith said that, prior to Saturday's incident, there had been no shootings or stabbings at Discover Mills at least "through the beginning of 2010." In that same time period, he said, police had responded to three robberies, eight assaults and 11 fights at the mall.
In a statement issued to the Daily Post, Discover Mills general manager Karl Woodard stressed the safety of his mall.
"As part of our comprehensive security program to ensure the safety of our shoppers and employees, Discover Mills is working closely with the Gwinnett County Police Department as they investigate this isolated incident," Woodard said. "Security continues to be a top priority and we will maintain a zero-tolerance policy for all criminal offenses and inappropriate conduct."