0

Fire damages Norcross rental home

NORCROSS -- A Wednesday evening fire that destroyed the kitchen of a Norcross home may have been the result of food left unattended on the stove, officials said.

Gwinnett County firefighters responded to the home on the 5400 block of Christy Court at about 7:20 p.m., after neighbors reported seeing smoke coming from the home's roof, spokesman Capt. Tommy Rutledge said.

Crews were able to extinguish the blaze in about 20 minutes, but not before it gutted the kitchen and created smoke and heat damage throughout the house.

The occupants -- renters who had lived in the home for only about two weeks -- were not home at the time, Rutledge said.

"All of their belongings aren't even unpacked at the home," Rutledge said.

The residents, two adults and two children, were displaced. No injuries were reported.