Dacula girls ousted; Parkview delayed

Photo by Christine Troyke

Photo by Christine Troyke

MILTON -- The Parkview boys and Dacula girls soccer teams went down to Milton in hopes of a couple of Gwinnett upsets in the opening round of the Class AAAAA state playoffs Wednesday night.

Neither came home with a win, though the Panthers still have a chance.

Parkview did not resemble a lower-seeded team in its match against Milton, but was unable to score before inclement weather came into the picture. The boys game was postponed in a scoreless tie in the 73rd minute, and will be replayed Friday.

In the girls game, Dacula fell behind early and looked overwhelmed, falling to Milton 6-0.

The Falcons were behind early as Milton's Callie O'Connor broke through the back of the Dacula line and kicked it past the keeper to put the Falcons in a 1-0 hole.

"We didn't connect very well in the beginning," Dacula girls coach Jason Guzzardo said. "We did not get to our plan of working the ball in the middle of the field."

Milton continued the press on the Falcons and O'Connor scored again four minutes later on a nice cross that she placed in the back of the net.

The Falcons, who played eight freshmen, committed mental mistakes including allowing a 30-yard free kick for a score in the 27th minute and a corner kick right into the goal in the 37th minute.

"We got a little frustrated after the early scores," Guzzardo said.

The Falcons got a couple of chances in the second half, the best by Katie McAdams but her shot was denied by the keeper.

Parkview came out aggressively against the Milton boys. The Panthers controlled most of the early action and Sammy Korgi forced a diving save by the keeper off of a free kick in the 10th minute.

Milton responded, and the Panthers dodged a bullet as an apparent Milton goal was called back because of an offsides infraction.

Parkview went toe-to-toe with the top seed and missed another scoring chance as another shot on goal was denied by the keeper in the 28th minute.

Parkview looked like the hungrier team, winning balls in the midfield and keeping the action in the Milton zone for the majority of the opening half.

Milton took the fight to the Panthers in the second half, forcing a couple of great stops by Parkview to keep the game scoreless.

The Panthers nearly scored on a mistake as a Milton defender accidentally kicked the ball by the keeper and onto the goal line before the keeper recovered to stop the ball from going in.

There would be no more attempts on goal after that and play was delayed in the 73rd minute because of lightning. After a 20-minute delay, the game was postponed until Friday because of an incoming storms.

The preliminary plans are for the teams to resume play Friday at 5 p.m.