NATION: Giants fan still hospitalized

Giants fan still hospitalized

LOS ANGELES — A savage beating by two men outside Dodgers Stadium has left a San Francisco Giants fan in a medically induced coma as police on Saturday urged any witnesses to help identify the attackers.

The beating after Thursday’s season opener between the Giants and Los Angeles Dodgers left the victim in critical but stable condition.

Police released composite sketches of the two suspects, who were wearing Dodgers clothing. Investigators were also checking to see if any security cameras captured the attack, but Detective Larry Burcher said they had found ‘‘nothing of great value.’’

‘‘We’re very confident there were witnesses, it happened immediately following the game when everybody was coming out,’’ Burcher said.

Town’s residents counted — all 4

LOST SPRINGS, Wyo. — The Wyoming town of Lost Springs can finally count on the Census to get its population correct: Four, not one.

The Casper Star-Tribune reports that the Census Bureau somehow missed four other residents of the town when it counted only one person in 2000.

The cause of that mistake wasn’t clear. Leda Price, who lives on the west side of the 1-block Main Street, jokes that officials must have counted only her side of town.

The 2010 Census, however, got it right this time when it found and counted all four of Lost Springs’ residents. The newspaper reports that since the 2000 survey, two residents died but a newcomer moved in.

The state highway department says it will change the town’s population on signs.

Transocean gives safety bonuses

SAN FRANCISCO — Transocean Ltd. gave its top executives bonuses for achieving the ‘‘best year in safety performance in our company’s history’’ — despite the explosion of its oil rig that killed 11 people and spilled 200 million gallons of oil into the Gulf of Mexico.

The company said in a regulatory filing that its most senior managers were given two thirds of their total possible safety bonus.

Transocean noted “the tragic loss of life” in the Gulf when the rig operated by BP PLC exploded last April. But it said the company still had an ‘‘exemplary’’ safety record because it met or exceeded certain internal safety targets concerning the frequency and severity of its accidents, according to the filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission on Friday.

Lottery winner robber sentenced

ROLLING MEADOWS, Ill. — A 35-year-old suburban Chicago man who targeted and shot an Illinois Lottery winner has been sentenced to 23 years in prison.

Robert English pleaded guilty Friday to attempted murder and home invasion in the September 2009 robbery at a Rolling Meadows home.

The victim was shot four times, including twice in the chest, and survived.

English is one of two men charged in the robbery. His co-defendant, 49-year-old Carmine Palella, is set to stand trial Monday.

The victim said he’s known Palella’s family for decades and now has trouble trusting people.

Man stabbed over cats, dog

SAN DIEGO — Authorities said an elderly San Diego man stabbed his neighbor in a dispute over cats and dogs.

The fight broke out late Friday when the 74-year-old man said his kittens were being harassed by his neighbor’s dog.

Investigators said the man then hit his 64-year-old neighbor in the face with a broom stick, returned with a knife and stabbed the other man in the stomach.

Probation for man in sex case

TRENTON, N.J. — A New Jersey man initially accused of participating in the alleged gang-rape of a 7-year-old girl after her 15-year-old stepsister sold her for sex has been sentenced to probation.

Twenty-year-old Timear Lewis of Trenton was among six people charged in the case after the younger girl was allegedly assaulted at a party in a Trenton apartment building in March 2010.

But nearly all were eventually offered pleas bargains to lesser charges after the case began to unravel.

Authorities lacked DNA evidence to prosecute, and the older girl gave varying accounts of what supposedly happened.

Lewis, who was 19 at the time, pleaded guilty to a trespassing charge for being in a vacant apartment without the owner’s permission. He was ordered Friday to serve three years probation.