Teen charged in bleach balloon attack

LAWRENCEVILLE — The 17-year-old charged with the May bleach-filled balloon attack on a Lilburn middle schooler was indicted by a grand jury Wednesday.

Police say Juan Carlos Flores was the driver of the 2008 Nissan Quest that randomly targeted 14-year-old Miguel Mesa as he walked home on the last day of the 2009-10 school year, pelting him with bleach from a water balloon and Super Soaker.

Mesa sustained severe damage to his face and eyes that day, adding a traumatic end to what should have been a celebratory day to kick off his summer vacation.

Wednesday, Flores was indicted on two counts of aggravated battery — one for each of Mesa’s eyes. The indictment released Thursday reads that Flores attacked Mesa, “rendering his eye useless” and “causing chemical burns to his eye.”

A judge had originally set bond for Flores — a Meadowcreek High School student — before immigration authorities asked for him to remain in Gwinnett County Jail, where he has been since his June 3 arrest a week after the incident.

Three other teens that were in the van with Flores during the apparent prank-gone-bad are being tried as juveniles. Lilburn police did not have updates on their status Thursday.

Driver indicted on 10 counts of aggravated assault

A suspected hit-and-run driver who police say played his version of interstate bumper cars was indicted on 10 felony aggravated assault charges Wednesday, in addition to 14 other criminal charges.

Police say Mike Wayne Strawn was involved in an accident “in the Buford area” sometime around noon on June 9.

It would have behooved him to stop there.

According to reports and indictments, Strawn went on to flee the scene and proceed down Interstate 85 South, ramming at least four other vehicles and eluding police before one final collision ended the chase.

Wednesday he was indicted on a heavy slate of charges from the incident: 10 counts of aggravated assault, seven counts of hit and run, six counts of aggravated driving and eluding police.

Strawn remains in Gwinnett County Jail without bond.