0

FIRE BRIEFS: Passerby helps woman rescue daughter from blaze

Passerby helps woman rescue daughter from blaze

DULUTH — An unidentified passerby helped a woman rescue her young daughter from a burning home Saturday morning, authorities said.

The 32-year-old woman and her two daughters were asleep in the two-story home on the 4100 block of Creek Hollow Way in Duluth when the fire broke out, said Capt. Thomas Rutledge, spokesman for the Gwinnett County Fire Department. A passerby reported the blaze about 8 a.m. Saturday.

The woman told authorities that a noise woke her and she noticed thick smoke in the room. Her 10-year-old daughter reportedly escaped by jumping from a window in the back of the house, and the mother jumped from a window in the front of the house.

Since her 3-year-old daughter was still inside, the woman attempted to re-enter the home through the front door, but she couldn’t because of the fire, Rutledge said. A passerby helped lift her up so she could reach a second-floor window where the young girl was located.

The mother and her daughters were taken to area hospitals for treatment of their injuries, Rutledge said. The woman and the 3-year-old were taken to Gwinnett Medical Center for smoke inhalation. The 10-year-old was taken to Scottish Rite for smoke inhalation and ankle injuries.

Rutledge said the fire appears accidental and may have been caused by a space heater, which was left on in the room.

The home sustained heavy damage and is a total loss, Rutledge said. The American Red Cross was contacted to provide assistance to the displaced family.

Grease fire damages kitchen

SNELLVILLE — A grandmother and her grandchild were uninjured when a grease fire broke out while they were cooking pancakes Saturday, authorities said.

Firefighters responded about 11:35 a.m. to a report of a house fire on the 2700 block of Viewmont Drive in Snellville. Crews found light smoke showing from a two-story house when the arrived, said Capt. Thomas Rutledge, spokesman for the Gwinnett County Fire Department.

The firefighters extinguished the blaze, which was caused by a pan of grease that ignited on the stove, Rutledge said. The fire caused moderate damage to the kitchen and sent smoke throughout the house.

The American Red Cross was contacted to provide assistance to the displaced occupants.

— From staff reports