Monday, October 4, 2010
© Copyright 2014
Gwinnett Daily Post
Fire displaces Norcross family
NORCROSS — A house fire that appears to have started in a chimney caused heavy damage to a home in Norcross on Monday morning, displacing the resident family, officials said.
Gwinnett County firefighters reported to the two-story home on the 2000 block of Mitchell Road at about 10:52 a.m., spokesman Capt. Tommy Rutledge said, finding the blaze “burning heavily” in the second floor and attic.
The exact cause of the fire was undetermined Monday, Rutledge said, but appeared to have originated in the chimney chase of the fireplace. The family reported that they had not recently used the fireplace.
The blaze caused heavy damage before being brought under control at 11:11 a.m., Rutledge said.
The Red Cross was alerted to help the family of three. Neither the father, mother or child were home at the time of the fire. No injuries were reported.
— From staff reports