Staff Photo: Jonathan Phillips
Mazzy’s serves bourbon chicken with fresh vegetables and wild rice. Also served is the shrimp alfredo pasta and the triple cheese bacon burger with french fries.
7160 Jimmy Carter Blvd., Norcross
• Open since: January 2009
• Grouper platter Seasoned grouper filet served with sauteed mixed vegetables over a bed of wild rice. $8.29
• Bourbon chicken platter Tender grilled chicken basted with homemade bourbon glaze and served over steamed wild rice. Served with steamed vegetables. $7.49
• Mazzy’s signature meatloaf Served hot or cold or as a sandwich or platter, homemade brown gravy comes with to top things off. Sandwich is served with Texas toast and fries. $7.29
• Patty Melt A half pound patty served with sauteed onions and Swiss cheese on Texas toast. Served with 1000 Island dressing on the side. $6.79
• Location: Mazzy’s is located on Jimmy Carter Blvd. between Peachtree Industrial Blvd. and Holcomb Bridge Road in the building that used to be home to Jock’s and Jill’s.
• Hours: Open from 11 a.m. to 2 a.m. Monday through Friday; noon to 2 a.m. on Saturday and noon to midnight on Sunday.
• Owner: Lee Christiansen is a 1997 Shioh High grad who started working at Mazzy’s in Roswell before becoming a partner with owner John Fan and opening his own restaurant in Norcross.
• Atmosphere: Mazzy’s is a place to go to watch your favorite team on TV, but Christiansen wanted a communal experience so the restaurant is very open. That’s especially true of the main dining room that Christiansen calls “the arena.” “I’m about everyone enjoying the same atmosphere,” he said. “It’s great to see everyone together.” You’ll find no booths at Mazzy’s, with the main dining room sporting two big screen TVs and the bar area having one as well to go with 24 46-inch high-def TVs showing a variety of games throughout the restaurant. There are pool tables in the back, also in an open area with viewing access to the TVs.
• Menu: While bar favorites like wings, fried mozzarella sticks and burgers are offered, Christiansen said his goal was to strive for more than traditional pub fare. “I didn’t want to have a menu that didn’t offer anything tantalizing and make it so you don’t want to go back,” he said. In that pursuit, Mazzy’s offers daily specials along with signature dishes such as grouper, bourbon chicken, fish tacos and meatloaf, made from his grandmother’s recipe.
Mazzy’s also offers an assortment of burgers, and Christiansen said the Old Fashioned American Burger — with no garnishments — is one of the most popular. Also on the menu are the Five Peppercorn Burger and the Mushroom Swiss Burger.
A self-professed health nut, Christiansen is proud to serve 80/20 burgers — 80 percent lean, 20 percent fat — and use trans fat free oil for fried goods.
Mazzy’s has 19 beers on tap and 53 varieties available in bottles.
• Things you might not know: The Norcross store is home to the University of Miami’s Atlanta Hurricane and Alumni Club, which meets at Mazzy’s for football game watches and other events.