0

NATION: TSA to let pilots slide on patdowns

TSA to let pilots slide on patdowns

WASHINGTON — The Transportation Security Administration has agreed to let airline pilots skip the security scanning and pat-downs that passengers face at the nation’s airports, pilot groups said Friday.

Beginning Friday, pilots traveling in uniform or on airline business will be allowed to pass security by presenting two photo IDs, one from their company and one from the government, to be checked against a secure flight crew database, the TSA said.

The Obama administration’s retreat on screening pilots comes less than a week before the hectic Thanksgiving holiday travel period. Some travelers are threatening to protest the security measures by refusing to go through the scanning machines. Airlines are caught in the middle.

Pilots welcomed the changes.

‘‘This looks good. It’s basically what we’ve been after for 10 years,’’ said Sam Mayer, a spokesman for the Allied Pilots Association at American Airlines, the union that raised objections to the new screening process about two weeks ago. ‘‘Pilots are not the threat here; we’re the target.’’

Man finds body in foreclosed home

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — A man who bought a foreclosed Florida home discovered a body in the garage, and it may be that of the former owner, authorities said Friday.

The man went to the home in Cape Canaveral on Thursday, a day after buying it, Brevard County Sheriff’s Major Andrew Walters said. He found the body in a car in the garage.

Walters said it’s unclear how long the body had been there, or how the person died. An autopsy was underway.

News of the gruesome find came the same day as a 71-year-old man in Gulfport, across the state, died after shooting himself in the head Monday as he was about to be evicted from his home under foreclosure.

Boyd Rubright shot himself as a sheriff’s deputy tried to drill through the lock on his front door, police said.

Man accused of theft from lawyer

NEW YORK — Prosecutors say a 98-year-old New York lawyer’s bank accounts were looted by a septuagenarian businessman who gave him office space and then used the favor to gain access to his financial records.

Business consultant Harry Abrams pleaded not guilty Friday to grand larceny and other charges. The 76-year-old and his lawyer have declined to comment on the allegations.

Two arraigned in Halloween slaying

LOS ANGELES — Two reputed Los Angeles gang members have pleaded not guilty to charges of murdering a 5-year-old boy who was shot as he posed for photos in his Halloween costume.

Eighteen-year-old Marcus Denson and 21-year-old Leonard Hall also pleaded not guilty Friday to attempted murder. They could face life in prison if convicted.

Both remain jailed on $4 million bail each.

GM stock rises on second day

DETROIT — General Motors’ stock rose the second day it traded as it rebounded from an early swoon.

The automaker’s stock closed at $34.26, up 7 cents, or 0.2 percent, on Friday. The broader market rose modestly.

After a successful return to public markets the day before, GM’s stock dropped $1.08 to $33.11 in the first half-hour of trading Friday before investors started buying again.

The demand gradually lifted the stock price until it finally rose above Thursday’s close of $34.19 just before the end of trading. The stock was traded more than 100 million times, less than one-quarter of its volume on Thursday.

Investors and the U.S. government are watching how the market views GM. The company’s stock went public amid an impressive turnaround 16 months after exiting a bankruptcy.

Most 9/11 workers end legal fight

NEW YORK — More than 10,000 workers exposed to the tons of toxic dust that blanketed ground zero after the World Trade Center fell have ended their bruising legal fight with New York City and joined a settlement worth at least $625 million, officials said Friday.

The deal will resolve an overwhelming majority of the lawsuits over the city’s failure to provide protective equipment to the army of construction workers, police officers and firefighters who spent months clearing and sifting rubble after Sept. 11.

Among the thousands who sued, claiming that soot at the site got into their lungs and made them sick, more than 95 percent eligible for the settlement agreed to take the offer.