Indictment: Jewelry thief 'disfigured' after car crash

LAWRENCEVILLE — One suspect in a harrowing Mall of Georgia jewelry heist was seriously injured in an ensuing police chase and vehicle crash — injuries his accomplice is charged with inflicting, according to an indictment released Thursday.

The suspects are charged with smashing jewelry cases with hammers during business hours on Feb. 8 at Gordon’s Jewelers, running from security, then fleeing police in a Pontiac Bonneville down Interstate 85. The melee ended when the alleged driver, Kamel Antwan Thompson, of Morrow, lost control of the car, slammed into a median wall and rocketed up the Lawrenceville-Suwanee Road exit before striking a tractor-trailer.

Thompson and his alleged accomplice, Steve Antonio Mapp, of Atlanta, were hospitalized. Police said they recovered more than $150,000 in jewelry, including a diamond ring that dropped from Mapp’s clothing as he was undergoing a CT scan.

A grand jury this week handed down an indictment charging both men with robbery. Thompson faces additional counts of reckless driving, fleeing police and serious injury by vehicle, for “seriously disfiguring” Mapp’s legs, the indictment says.

Mapp was released from hospital care about a month after the alleged heist. Both suspects remain at the Gwinnett County Jail without bond.

Gang suspects tied to shooting

In other indictments this week, two Lawrenceville men were formally charged in a Feb. 23 drive-by shooting at a Crystal Court home in Lawrenceville.

Juan Jose Rodriguez and Kevin Michael Rainey face eight counts of aggravated assault and one count of criminal gang activity in the alleged attack. Eight people were inside the home when shots rang out from a car the duo was traveling in, the indictment says.

The shooting was allegedly part of Rodriguez and Rainey’s involvement in the Malditos 13 street gang, part of an organized and violent conglomerate that once operated in Gwinnett under the umbrella “La Gran Familia.”

Police reported no injuries in the shooting. Both suspects remain jailed without bond.