GCPS to hold kindergarten registration on Thursday

LAWRENCEVILLE -- Gwinnett County Public Schools' annual kindergarten registration will take place Thursday.

Parents and guardians of children who will be 5 years old on or before Sept. 1 should visit their local elementary school to register their child for kindergarten.

Kindergarten registration for the upcoming school year takes place before the summer to allow new students to participate in school activities that will help them get ready for their first day of school, according to a news release. The first day of the 2010-11 school year is Aug. 9.

To register for kindergarten, parents and guardians can call their elementary school for registration times or visit the "2010 Countdown to Kindergarten" section on the school system's Web site, www.gwinnett.k12.

ga.us, for more information.

Students who will attend the five new elementary schools scheduled to open in August -- Anderson-Livsey Elementary in Snellville, Burnette Elementary in Suwanee, Ferguson Elementary in Duluth, Jenkins Elementary in Lawrenceville, and Roberts Elementary in Suwanee -- should be registered at the school they would have attended had the new school not opened, the news release states.

Parents who are unsure which school their kindergartener will attend should call the GCPS Planning Department at 678-301-7085.

The school system suggests parents bring the following to kindergarten registration:

* Your child. Schools may offer activities or screenings on registration day. Check with the school for details.

* A copy of the pre-K progress report if your child has attended a state pre-K program. This can be helpful information for the kindergarten teacher.

* An official document showing proof of your child's birth date. Examples include an original birth certificate or birth registration, an official state or federal form with date of birth, or a passport.

* Evidence of vision, hearing and dental exams for your child obtained in the past year. This information should be on Georgia Form No. 3300, available from the health department or a private physician and dentist. Letters from appropriate health care professionals and out-of-state certificates are acceptable, if completed within the last 12 months and stapled to the state form.

* A Georgia certificate of immunization for your child. By state law, a valid certificate of immunization (Form No. 3231, revised March 2007) or a notarized statement of religious exemption is required for enrollment. The certificate of immunization must be completed by the health department or a private physician. Forms for religious exemptions may be requested from the school.

* Proof that you live in the school's attendance zone. The school requires proof of residency, which may be verified by presenting a current utility bill (excluding telephone bills) with one of the following documents: a non-contingent sales contract, current lease/rental agreement, most recent income tax return, current paycheck stub, current Medicaid card, current warranty or quick claim deed, current home purchase agreement, current homeowner's insurance policy, and current residential property tax statement or bill. Documents presented for residency verification must include the same address as the accompanying utility bill. If you live with a friend or family member and need information about verifying your residency, call your school.

* Proof of custody or guardianship, if not the birth parent. To learn more, call the Gwinnett County Probate Court at 770-822-8265.

* The child's Social Security number. State law requires that schools ask for this number at the time of enrollment. Students will be enrolled even if the number is not provided. However, parents not providing a number will be asked to sign a waiver.

* Your photo ID. The person enrolling a student should present proper identification. This identification may include a driver's license, a state identification card, a passport, or other official photo identification, such as an ID card obtained through an official government agency.