Monday, March 15, 2010
© Copyright 2015
Gwinnett Daily Post
WINDER -- Barrow authorities on Monday released new details in the county's latest killing of 2010 -- the death of an Athens man, 51, that bumps the homicide total to three.
The last homicide Barrow authorities worked prior to this year was in November 2008, an official previously said.
A tip from a concerned resident led authorities to the body of Oscar Armando Lopez Melandez in a drainage ditch near Statham on Friday night.
The lone suspect, Colbert resident Adalberto Sanchez, 53, is being held in the Barrow County Detention Center on charges of felony murder, possession of a firearm or knife while trying to commit a crime and aggravated assault.
"It's believed that the victim and suspect were engaged in a verbal argument that turned deadly while inside (Sanchez's) car," said Barrow County Sheriff's Department spokesman Maj. Todd Druse.
Sanchez was arrested Saturday morning at an apartment complex in Bogart. He's on parole from Florida for first-degree murder. He's been living in Georgia for an undisclosed length of time under the supervision of Georgia authorities.
Earlier this year, Barrow authorities handled two unrelated fatal stabbings of Winder men. The first involved a 20-year-old victim in January and the second a 50-year-old early last month.
Investigators have made arrests in both cases.
The earlier stabbing marked the first homicide investigated in Barrow since walkers in woods near Statham found the torched body of a 46-year-old Norcross man in late 2008. That case remains under investigation.
An investigation into the Friday homicide continues, Druse said.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Investigator Lisa Farlow of the Barrow County Sheriff's Office at 770-307-3080, ext. 4643.