Thursday, June 24, 2010
© Copyright 2014
Gwinnett Daily Post
Recently reviewed films now playing in theaters:
• The A-Team (PG-13) — This adaptation of the ’80s action/adventure TV series is appropriately and unapologetically cheesy in all the right places yet still manages to eke out a few brilliant moments thanks to its (mostly) dead-on casting choices and modest expectations. 3 stars — Michael Clark
• Get Him to the Greek (R) — The not-quite-a-sequel to “Forgetting Sarah Marshall” features Russell Brand as the drug and sex-addicted rock singer Aldous Snow. Starting off with promise, the movie loses a lot of steam toward the end thanks to a creepy subplot. 21⁄2 stars — MC
• Harry Brown (R) — Michael Caine shines as the title character — an unassuming retired British soldier driven to vigilante violence after a rash of gang-related crime in his otherwise peaceful neighborhood.
3 stars — MC
• Marmaduke (PG) — Bearing little resemblance to the quaint panel comic that “inspired” it, this atrocious, lame and bad-taste family action/comedy with talking canines features a slew of OK voice performances but that’s about it.
1⁄2 of 1 star — MC
• Solitary Man (R) Michael Douglas has rarely been better as Ben, a smooth-talking, once successful car dealer whose brush with mortality six years earlier turned him into brazen skirt-chaser and all-around lout. Susan Sarandon and Jenna Fischer both shine in supporting roles. 3 stars — MC
• Toy Story 3 (G) As hard as it might be to believe, the (hopefully) final installment in this landmark animated trilogy is actually better than its two predecessors. It is an unqualified masterpiece and the only film in history with the number “3” (or higher) in its title to achieve such a high level of artistic and entertainment greatness. 4 stars — MC
• Sex and the City 2 (R) — In one of those rare, freak occurrences, many audiences actually listened to the critics and stayed away from this pointless, mostly joyless and overlong sequel that only succeeded in besmirching the memory of the HBO series from which it was spawned.
11⁄2 stars — MC