Thursday, July 22, 2010
© Copyright 2015
Gwinnett Daily Post
LAWRENCEVILLE -- Emergency personnel responded to Gwinnett Medical Center's main campus Thursday morning after a construction crew ruptured a natural gas line nearby, officials said.
Hospital staff reported an odor of gas in the main building of the 1000 Medical Center Boulevard complex about 7:35 a.m. Members of the Fire Department's HAZMAT team found only slight readings inside and did not evacuate patients, visitors or staff, said Fire Department spokesman Capt. Thomas Rutledge.
A crew from Lawrenceville Gas brought the leak under control about an hour later, Rutledge said.
Rutledge said the leak was caused by a contracting crew that struck a two-inch gas service line while digging nearby.
"Firefighters repeatedly checked all floors of the building with gas meters and found no residual readings," he said.
No injuries were reported.