NATION: Robots work to put new cap on Gulf oil leak

Robots work to put new cap on Gulf oil leak

NEW ORLEANS -- Deep-sea robots swarmed around BP's ruptured oil well Monday in a delicately choreographed effort to attach a tighter-fitting cap that could finally stop crude from gushing into the Gulf of Mexico nearly three months into the crisis.

Video of the billowing brown oil leak showed glimpses of yellow equipment and swinging robot arms engaged in a project akin to building a giant Lego tower underwater.

BP officials said that the 18-foot-high, 150,000-pound metal cap should be attached on Monday but that they will have to test and monitor the equipment for two days to see if it can throttle the nation's worst offshore oil spill. Late Monday afternoon, the cap was being lowered into place and was just 40 feet away from the top of the well.

2 Chicago men sentenced in plot to kill soldiers

TOLEDO, Ohio -- Two cousins from the Chicago area who admitted they wanted to kill American soldiers in Iraq as part of a plot centered in Ohio were sentenced to prison terms of several years Monday.

Both men apologized in federal court, saying they became misguided after the U.S.-led invasion overseas.

''I was caught up with the fervor of world events,'' said Zubair Ahmed. ''At that time, I was looking at U.S. troops as my enemy.''

U.S. District Judge James Carr sentenced Ahmed to 10 years, and his cousin, Khaleel Ahmed to eight years, four months.

Man charged in beating death of 6-year-old son

HOUSTON -- A Houston man who beat his 6-year-old son for eight hours until the boy went into a seizure and died has been charged in the child's killing, police said Monday.

Alex Duncan, 34, is charged with murder and his girlfriend, 30-year-old Tammyra Lanette Sampson, who witnessed the beating early Sunday, is charged with injury to a child by omission, police said.

Both defendants are being held on a $50,000 bond.

Tekerrious ''T.K.'' Jackson lived with his mother but was spending the summer with his father, police said.

Saturday night, Duncan was angry because T.K. wouldn't go to sleep so he made the boy kneel with his arms extended in front of him for eight hours, Sgt. Brian Harris said. Whenever T.K. lowered his arms, Duncan delivered a ''flurry of punches'' to the boy's chest and body as part of what Duncan called ''chest boxing,'' according to the police report.

Duncan refused to allow T.K. to go to the bathroom, and beat the boy after he urinated on himself, according to court records.

NTSB: Duck boat radioed tug boat got no response

PHILADELPHIA -- The crew of a stalled tourist boat said they got no response when they radioed a tugboat pushing a barge toward them, and a worker aboard the tugboat has invoked his right not to be interviewed about the fatal crash, federal authorities said Monday.

The collision last week capsized the tourist vessel, dumped 37 people overboard and killed two young Hungarians.

The tug's crew included a master, a mate, an engineer and two deck hands, the National Transportation Safety Board said. The mate ''exercised his Fifth Amendment right and refused to meet with investigators'' over the weekend, the NTSB said.

One of the deck hands was asleep at the time at the time of the crash, but he was apparently not on duty, NTSB spokesman Keith Holloway told The Associated Press.

The duck boat's two crew members both said their radio calls to the tug ''received no response,'' the NTSB said. The agency also interviewed others aboard different boats who said they recalled hearing the duck boat's radio calls.

First lady touts initiative against childhood obesity

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- First lady Michelle Obama said Americans need to change their eating habits to avoid producing the nation's first generation of children who live shorter lives than their parents.

Obama spoke Monday at the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People's national convention in Kansas City.

YMCA shortens name, will now be known as 'the Y'

CHICAGO -- The YMCA is now known officially as just ''the Y.''

The Chicago-based U.S. nonprofit announced Monday that it is changing both its logo and name to ''the Y,'' marking its first branding change in 43 years. The switch comes after more than two years of research indicated many people don't understand what the group does. Officials with the Y say they hope the new logo will be more inviting.

The group's mission is to strengthen communities by focusing on youth development, healthy living and social responsibility.