Fireworks believed to be cause of house fire

LILBURN — An early morning fire at a home on the 100 block of Stoneview Drive in Lilburn is believed to have been caused by fireworks.

Firefighters responded to a report from a homeowner of a residential fire at the Lilburn location. Upon arrival, crews found smoke and flames showing from the roof of the home. According to the fire department, the homeowner was on the roof attempting to extinguish the blaze.

According to arson investigators, the cause of the fire is believed to have been accidental and caused by fireworks used by the homeowners earlier that evening.

The fire caused moderate damage to the home and sent significant smoke throughout the structure. No injuries were reported, but six adults and six children where displaced.

Fireworks display ignites small blaze at park

STONE MOUNTAIN — The fireworks display that lit up the sky in front of Stone Mountain’s famous carving Sunday night also lit pine straw on fire at the base of the mountain.

Park fire crews, which are responsible for the entire 3,200-acre park, received a call at 10:14 p.m. Sunday and extinguished the fire by 10:18 p.m., according to park Public Relations Manager Jeanine Jones, who said the damage was minimal.

“It was at the base of the mountain, which is mostly rocks and trees, and they responded so quickly that it was a non-event,” Jones said. “With fireworks occasionally comes fires, but because they are so close they respond so quickly (and) there’s never been one that got out of hand.”

The fire, which spanned a 10-foot area, ignited in a designated and barricaded fireworks fallout area closed off to the public.