Thursday, January 28, 2010
© Copyright 2014
Gwinnett Daily Post
DULUTH -- A suspected trigger man in a shoot-out that rocked a Duluth neighborhood last spring was caught trying to flee authorities through a hotel window this week, officials said.
Erick Livent-Mejia was arrested Wednesday night at an extended stay hotel on Venture Parkway in Duluth. The arrest capped a six-month search by Gwinnett County Sheriff's Department fugitive experts and U.S. Marshals that indicated Livent-Mejia had fled up the eastern seaboard and back near the scene of the alleged crimes.
The Charlotte resident is charged with murder and four counts of aggravated assault, stemming from a drug-deal robbery gone awry at a home on Buckingham Place last May.
Livent-Mejia is the fifth of six suspects named in a 2009 indictment who've been arrested for allegedly having roles in the shootings.
Howard Jones, 34, of Jacksonville, N.C., was killed in the gunfight. At least three other men were wounded, two of them paralyzed, according to indictments.
Once shot, Jones fled with Shawn Brumfield, of Syracuse, N.Y., in a Saturn later found at Gwinnett Place Mall. Police found Jones dead and arrested Brumfield.
Authorities had been tracking Livent-Mejia since August, said Sheriff's Department spokeswoman Stacey Bourbonnais.
Tips to authorities had placed Livent-Mejia in Massachusetts, New Jersey, North Carolina and back to metro Atlanta, she said. He remains at the Gwinnett County Jail without bond.