Friday, January 1, 2010
© Copyright 2013
Gwinnett Daily Post
WINDER -- A Winder man's attempt to provide heat for his family sent him to the hospital early New Year's Day.
There was an explosion after the man attempted to install liquid propane gas from a tank into a natural gas wall heater, Winder Fire officials said.
There was no electricity or natural gas in the house, a duplex at 10 S. Williams St., a press release said.
At around 3:06 a.m., police officers found the front door and several windows had been blown out of the residence, a police department release said. The officers helped evacuate family members, and the man, who suffered burns to his legs and arms, was transported by Barrow County emergency crews to Barrow Regional Hospital.
The American Red Cross is assisting the displaced family.
Winder Fire Chief Ray Mattison said residents should be aware of the danger of improper use of heating equipment. He offered tips, including not using drop cords with electric space heaters and making sure working smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors are installed.