Staff Photo: Jason Braverman
Gimme Some Suga Bakery Bar in Suwanee serves a variety of cupcakes and cheesecakes, with cupcake flavors that include red velvet, lemon drop, strawberry, cookies and cream and many others.
Gimme Some Suga Bakery Bar
320 Town Center Avenue, Suwanee
• Open since: Dec. 11
On the menu
• Cupcake flavors: Classic Vanilla, Classic Chocolate, Red Velvet, Apple Pie, Carrot Cake, Georgia Carrot Cake, Lemon Drop, Key Lime, Coconut, Peanut Butter Delight, Chocolate Peanut Butter, Strawberry Delight, Brown Buttered Caramel, Birthday Surprise, Chocolate Fudge Brownie, Peanut Butter Brownie, Pumpkin Spice, Cookies and Cream, Creamy Chocolate, Creamy Vanilla, White Russian and White Chocolate Peppermint Cake.
$2.75/each, $15/for six and $28/dozen
• Cheesecake Flavors: Sweet Potato, Peach Cobbler, Chocolate, Banana Rum, French Toast, Eugene’s Rum, Caramel Corn, Hollyberry, Lemonade, Raspberry Lemonade, Cinnamon Bun, Strawberry Blaze, Chocolate and Strawberries, Cookies and Cream and Conjure Cheesecake.
$5.75/4-inch cake $15/7-inch cake, $25/9-inch cake
• Location: Gimme Some Suga is located in the Suwanee Town Center, near the City Hall
• Hours: Noon to 6 p.m. Sundays, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesdays through Thursdays, 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays, closed Monday
• Owner: Twenty-eight-year-old Tamika Tanner was building her cupcake and dessert business out of her house for a year before she finally decided to rent the space in Suwanee Town Center.
“When I saw this location, I thought it was a beautiful location.”
After moving her cousin, Eugene Oden Jr., to Suwanee to be the business’s pastry chef, she opened the Gimme Some Suga, named after “something I always used to say to my son,” store front and plans to open another location in Atlanta this summer.
• Atmosphere: Gimme Some Suga’s bright contemporary design features a walk-up bar displaying the nine cupcake flavors they bake fresh daily alongside a case with the six different mini-cheesecake flavors available to customers. The simple space holds three high top tables with stools for a quick dessert and is designed to take purchases home with you.
• Menu: The bakery bar specializes in cupcakes and 4-inch “mini” cheesecakes.
There are more than 17 available flavors of cupcakes, for example Georgia Carrot Cake or Key Lime, and 13 different cheesecake flavors, including Sweet Potato or Caramel Corn.
Of the 30 flavors, nine cupcake flavors and six cheesecake flavors are picked and baked fresh and iced each day until they run out. They also offer a variety of cake pops and brownie pops, which are the traditional treats mixed with icing, rolled into balls, and dipped in chocolate.
The bakery’s treats are from family recipes and are known for their unique touches. The strawberry delight cupcake has fresh strawberries marinated into the cupcake mix before baking and the French toast cheesecake boasts a croissant baked on top.
Gimme Some Suga can also infuse adult flavors into its cheesecakes, like Bailey’s Irish Cream, Peach Schnapps or more personalized desserts, like the one the bakery recently made for Atlanta rap star, Ludacris, with his signature cognac, Conjure.
Although there are dozens of options at Gimme Some Suga, the best selling are the traditional Red Velvet and Chocolate Fudge Brownie Cupcake.
Starting in January, Gimme Some Suga will offer breakfast pastries from 10 a.m. until noon on Saturdays and Sundays. It also plans to start a call-to-order menu of gluten-free and diabetic products, labeled “lifestyle.” The in-house pastry chef is also available with a full catering menu of cookies, muffins, cakes, etc. for special orders and events.
• Things you might not know: Beginning in February, Gimme Some Suga will offer 11⁄2 hour pastry decorating classes at the store for adults and children on Saturdays.