Monday, December 27, 2010
© Copyright 2014
Gwinnett Daily Post
BUFORD — Three children were taken to the hospital for evaluation after a fire broke out in the bathroom of their Buford duplex early Monday morning.
Gwinnett County firefighters responded to the home on the 4900 block of Spring Hill Drive just before 8 a.m., finding the small blaze that had originated from a bathroom exhaust fan.
The fire was quickly contained after causing “minimal” damage, but three children were transported “to be evaluated for minor exposure to smoke products,” fire department spokesman Capt. Tommy Rutledge said.
Parents were home at the time of the fire and no foul play is suspected, Rutledge said.
Firefighters did, however, report that there were no batteries in the smoke alarms at the duplex. They provided a pair of alarms with working batteries before turning the property back over to the occupants, Rutledge said.
“Every home should be equipped with more than one working smoke alarm,” Rutledge said. “Your life and the life of the smoke alarm depend on its battery.”