FIRE BRIEFS: Fireplace blaze displaces seven

Fireplace blaze displaces seven

LAWRENCEVILLE — Officials said a Lawrenceville fire that displaced seven people in the 1900 block of Tyler Trace early Monday has been linked to a fireplace.

High winds spread the fire to the home’s attic about 7:45 a.m. Fire crews brought it under control about 90 minutes later, officials said.

Three people in the home at the time were awaken by a fire alarm and escaped without injury.

“The occupants reported having a fire in the fireplace to stay warm last night,” said Fire Department spokesman Lt. Eric Eberly.

The fire caused significant damage to the back of the house and the attic. Investigators have ruled it accidental, Eberly said.

The Red Cross is assisting a total of seven residents with shelter needs, he said.

Man displaced in Duluth blaze

DULUTH — An early morning fire Monday displaced a resident in the 3400 block of Courtney Court in Duluth, officials said.

A man in the split-level home called 911 about 2 a.m. to report the fire, which had originated in a fireplace and spread to the attic and an exterior wall. The fire was under control about 30 minutes later and caused extensive damage to the attic and back of the house, said Fire Department spokesman Capt. Thomas Rutledge.

The lone resident, who was not injured, is displaced due to the damage but did not request assistance. Fire crews operated in extreme cold and gusty wind conditions to battle the blaze, Rutledge said.

Gas leak disrupts highway traffic

DULUTH — Officials temporarily closed Buford Highway in Duluth on Sunday morning due to a gas leak at a local business.

Just before midnight Saturday, fire crews found a large propane tank leaking outside Suzanne’s Kitchen at 4025 Buford Highway, which was closed until about 12:47 a.m. The tank is used to convert LP gas to natural gas for food production, and the leak occurred in a pop-off valve connected to a smaller tank, Rutledge said.

A manager was able to access and operate an emergency shut-off within the business. There were no evacuations and no injuries reported.

Kitchen fire damages home

LILBURN — A kitchen fire caused by a pan of food left unattended damaged a Lilburn home in the 4500 block of Robie Road in Lilburn on Sunday afternoon, officials said.

Fire crews responded to the two-story home about 1:24 p.m., after an occupant tried to douse the fire, failed and left the home, Rutledge said. All occupants escaped unharmed.

Damage was contained to the kitchen stove and cabinets, though smoke crept through the rest of the house, Rutledge said.

Occupants were displaced but did not request Red Cross assistance, he said.

Fire displaces Barrow family

BETHLEHEM — Officials have traced a damaging Sunday fire that displaced a Barrow County family of five to improperly discarded fireplace ashes.

The 7:44 a.m. fire at 21 Herald Drive in Bethlehem caused heavy damage, but no injuries were reported, said Barrow County Emergency Services spokesman Lt. Scott Dakin. Investigators ruled it accidental.

Dakin said a resident who’d cleaned the home’s fireplace put ashes in a cardboard box on a back deck, which ignited and spread to the house.

The fire spurred officials to reminded residents of safety measures involving alternate heat sources like fireplaces.

The department suggests having chimneys or wood stoves checked annually by certified professionals and keeping combustible items such as decorations away from hearths.

Fireplaces with restricted air flow can lead to a build-up of creosote, a common source of chimney fires, Dakin said.