0

FIRE BRIEFS: Small fire at laundromat contained to clothes in dryer

Small fire at laundromat contained to clothes in dryer

NORCROSS — Firefighters responded to a small fire at a 6050 Singleton Road laundromat Saturday afternoon.

The 5:20 p.m. fire was contained to clothes in a dryer. Patrons at the business used a portable fire extinguisher to douse the flames before the fire department arrived, officials said.

Fire crews used a mechanical fan to clear smoke from the building. There was no damage to the structure and no injuries were reported, said Fire Department spokesman Capt. Thomas Rutledge.

The business reopened after firefighters left the scene. The cause of the fire appears accidental, Rutledge said.

Small fire causes minor damage to Buford home; none displaced

BUFORD — An electrical short in a ceiling fan could be to blame in a Saturday morning house fire in the 1200 block of Frontier Drive in Buford, officials said.

Firefighters responded to an occupant report of fire about 11:37 a.m. and found a small fire in a bedroom.

“The fire was contained to a small area and caused only minor damage,” Rutledge said.

The fire appears accidental and may have started due to an electrical short near a ceiling fan, he said.

Occupants who were home at the time escaped unharmed and will not be displaced, Rutledge said.

— From staff reports