Wednesday, December 8, 2010
© Copyright 2014
Gwinnett Daily Post
LAWRENCEVILLE — An alert staff member at a Lawrenceville assisted living center kept a small fire from spreading Tuesday night, officials said.
The 11:20 p.m. fire, reported at Courtyard Gardens Assisted Living Center at 1000 River Center Place, was confined to a resident’s room but sent smoke throughout a hallway. A staff member used a portable fire extinguisher to knock down the fire, which was deemed under control by 11:29 p.m.
Several occupants in adjoining rooms had to be temporarily escorted to a safe area on the opposite side of the building, said Fire Department spokesman Capt. Thomas Rutledge.
The fire was sparked by an electric table lamp. Accidentally tipped over on a bed, the hot lamp bulb broke and ignited a mattress and bedding material. The fire caused minor damage to contents in the room, Rutledge said.
All residents were allowed to return to their rooms once smoke was cleared from the building. No injuries were reported and no residents were sent outside in the cold, Rutledge said.
Firefighters praised the staff and residents for knowing what to do.
“Their quick actions and ability to remain calm were key to providing a positive outcome,” Rutledge said.