NATION IN BRIEF: Alaska police killer suspect surrenders

ANCHORAGE, Alaska -- A man accused of killing two police officers in a small Alaska village has surrendered to authorities.

A local official in the Southeast village of Hoonah said 45-year-old John Marvin Jr. turned himself in shortly before 10 a.m. Monday.

Bob Prunella, acting administrator in Hoonah, said Marvin was taken with no injuries.

Marvin barricaded himself in his home after the shootings late Saturday that left officers Tony Wallace and Matt Tokuoka dead. A motive for the shootings has not been disclosed.

Mormon church shooter was former member

VISALIA, Calif. -- The brother of a man accused of the fatal shooting of a Mormon church official in Central California said the man was a former member of the congregation who felt wronged by a leader in 1988.

Mike Ward told the Visalia Times-Delta newspaper Monday that his older brother, 47-year-old Kenneth James Ward of Modesto, also was mentally ill.

Police said Kenneth Ward walked into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Visalia on Sunday and killed Clay Sannar, a lay bishop. Kenneth Ward later died in a shootout with officers after telling police where they could find him.

Mike Ward said his brother didn't know Sannar. He said his brother had been a church member in the 1980s and was upset by a bishop then who had ''shunned him to hell.''

Police capture suspect in Utah deputy's killing

SALT LAKE CITY -- A tip from a resident helped police on Monday capture a 23-year-old man who authorities say fatally shot a sheriff's deputy and went on the run for four days in the rugged wilderness along the Utah-Arizona border.

More than a dozen officers used night vision goggles and a helicopter to find Scott Curley armed with a rifle and hiding near a house outside Kanab, police said. Curley surrendered without a fight.

The resident had reported a man who had a rifle slung over his shoulder was trying to break into the home, police said. Authorities believe Curley was looking for food.

At a news conference in Kanab on Monday, authorities said they don't believe Curley knew officers were closing in on him just before 1 a.m., until it was too late for him to escape.

''That's why he was taken without any trouble,'' Kane County Sheriff Lamont W. Smith said. ''He didn't have anywhere to go.''