Monday, August 16, 2010
© Copyright 2014
Gwinnett Daily Post
SNELLVILLE -- A 16-year-old boy accused of shooting a fellow teen at an elementary school after a football scrimmage Friday could be prosecuted as an adult, police said Monday.
The case against the unidentified teen is being processed by the Gwinnett District Attorney's Office so the suspect can be tried as an adult, said Snellville police Chief Roy Whitehead.
Police on Monday identified the victim as Donya Dorch, 16, of Suwanee.
Dorch, who was struck in the chest, underwent surgery Saturday and is expected to survive, police said.
A Gwinnett Medical Center spokesperson said Dorch remained in the hospital's system Monday, but federal patient privacy laws prevented further information from being released because he is a minor.
The shooting happened about 11 p.m. in front of Britt Elementary School, just after a football scrimmage had let out at nearby South Gwinnett High School. Both teens had been students at South Gwinnett in the past, but the victim was currently home-schooled and the suspect was not attending school, officials said.
The alleged shooter is charged with aggravated battery. He is being held at a juvenile detention facility.
"Our investigation is continuing, and other charges are possible against this shooter and anyone else who could be involved," said Whitehead, adding that police believe there was only one gunman.
Whitehead previously said police are exploring the possibility the altercation could have been gang-related. No further information was available Monday, he said.