WORLD IN BRIEF: Pakistan Taliban chief reportedly survived attack

Pakistan Taliban chief reportedly survived attack

ISLAMABAD -- Pakistan and U.S. intelligence wrongly reported the death of the head of the Pakistani Taliban in a CIA drone strike and the brash, ruthless commander is now believed to be alive, Pakistani spies said Thursday in an apparent propaganda coup for the insurgents.

The reports that Hakimullah Mehsud survived the January missile attack in an area close to the Afghan border will raise questions about the quality of the intelligence being gathered in the region.

In Washington, Pentagon Press Secretary Geoff Morrell said he had seen ''no evidence'' that Mehsud ''is operational today or is executing or exerting authority over the Pakistan Taliban as he once did.''

Man stabs 28 kindergarten kids in China

TAIXING, China -- The screams of the 4-year-olds inside the kindergarten could be heard out in the street.

When people ran in to investigate, they found what one witness said was a scene ''too horrible to imagine'' -- blood everywhere as a knife-wielding man slashed 28 children, two teachers and a security guard Thursday in the second such school attack in China in two days.

Experts called it a copycat rampage triggered by similar incidents Wednesday and last month. They said the wave of school attacks falls amid poor care for the mentally unstable and growing feelings of social injustice in the fast-changing country.

Thursday's attack at the Zhongxin Kindergarten left five students hospitalized in critical condition in the eastern city of Taixing, said Zhu Guiming, an official with the municipal propaganda department. Two teachers and the security guard were also hurt.

The official Xinhua News Agency identified the attacker as Xu Yuyuan, a 47-year-old unemployed man using an eight-inch knife. No motive was given.

Baghdad vote recount to take up to 3 weeks

BAGHDAD -- Iraq's election officials said Thursday that a recount of the Baghdad ballots could take up to three weeks as a car bomb killed eight people in the capital, highlighting again the tenuous security situation while the chaos arising from the March 7 parliamentary vote drags on. The timeline means another delay for an election process that has already dragged on for weeks and threatens to undermine the country's fragile stability.