Hoyas bounce Parkview boys

KENNESAW -- Parkview got the fast early start it was looking for in its Class AAAAA state boys soccer playoff game against Harrison on Tuesday night at Cobleigh Stadium.

But the host Hoyas didn't waste any time answering.

Harrison posted a pair of goals inside of the first 17 minutes in each half to run past the Panthers 5-1.

Marco Rosas scored twice and added an assist, while his twin brother Manuel Rosas also added a goal, along with Taylor Deltac and Michael Grady as the Hoyas (13-2-1) advanced to take on No. 2 state-ranked Collins Hill in next week's second round.

Meanwhile, a rough season for Parkview ended at 7-10.

"We made some poor choices defensively and let them get behind us and let them get a couple of quick goals," Panthers coach Michael Tolmich said. "That just didn't help us. I think we knew what we were coming into in this game. (Harrison) brought exactly what we knew they were going to bring ... and they hurt us."

Both teams had to follow the bouncing ball in the early minutes of the first half, and the first one actually went Parkview's way less than four minutes in.

Matthew Anderson's long ball traveled high along the right wing before taking a big bounce off the artificial turf about 30 yards from the goal.

That's where Mark Brugh blew past his defender and gained possession, and the senior moved in and popped a high shot over a charging Harrison goalkeeper Jonathan Klein and under the crossbar, giving the Panthers a 1-0 lead just 3:38 after the opening kickoff.

But Harrison didn't panic.

"We've played a lot of tough teams this season, and something we talked about before the game was, nothing can happen that we haven't seen before," Harrison coach Jonathan Gross said. "And we're also playing Parkview. They're going to play hard and they're going to score a goal. They've always been a great team."

And the ball bounced Harrison's way just over three minutes later.

A bouncing ball was fought for by two pairs of Harrison attackers and Parkview defenders before rolling to Manuel Rosas, who dribbled to his left fired a shot past a diving Jack Falle and off the near post and in, tying the game at 1-1 with 33:08 left in the first half.

The next big bounce came near the midpoint of the half, when Daniel Mahan's cross from the right wing bounced past a maze of players from both teams into the penalty area.

That's where Deltac gained possession and sent a shot across his body into the upper right corner of the net, putting Harrison up 2-1 with 23:14 left in the first half.

A big save by Falle, who punched a bullet by Deltac off and over the crossbar, in the 27th minute kept the Panthers within a goal, but only temporarily.

Marco Rosas settled a seemingly innocent pass from Nathan Steele, but made a nifty spin move past a Parkview defender before firing a shot from 25 yards inside the near post with 10:04 left in the half, increasing the Hoyas' lead to 3-1 heading into intermission.

"I've been practicing (that move) with my brother. We just practiced that to see if it works out," said Marco Rosas, who has a team-high 22 goals on the season now. "That's always the question -- 'Why not?'

"Right now, things are working very well."

Marco Rosas and the Hoyas continued the momentum early in the second half.

First, the senior finished Hayden Kaminsky's right-wing cross just 4:31 after the second-half kickoff to make the score 4-1.

Then, he sent a free kick just outside the penalty area 18 yards out on right wing into the middle, where Grady was there to head it home to increase Harrison's lead to 5-1 with 30:27 left to play.