Monday, April 26, 2010
© Copyright 2014
Gwinnett Daily Post
SNELLVILLE -- Fourteen people were displaced after an early morning apartment fire Sunday morning.
Firefighters believe the blaze originated in a kitchen at a two-story quadruplex on Sloping Terrace in Snellville.
According to Lt. Eric Eberly of the county's fire department, Georgia Power crews were on the scene when firefighters arrived at 3:30 a.m. Sunday.
One resident said he had been cooking when lightning caused the power to go out about 2 a.m. At one point, the man said he may have left the oven on, although Eberly said the man later said he had not left it on.
"That's what we think happened," he said. "It was accidental, in any case."
All four apartment units were destroyed, and a firefighter was sent to the hospital suffering from heat exhaustion.
The American Red Cross assisted the residents with temporary housing, clothing and food, Eberly said.