Detective: Rapist fathers 2 children

LAWRENCEVILLE - A Gwinnett police detective testified Tuesday that DNA tests have confirmed a rape suspect is the father of his 14-year-old victim's infant baby and unborn child.

The girl is related to suspect Cesar Castillo, 44, through common law marriage, said Gwinnett police Detective Daniel Appleby. The victim told police Castillo forced her into sex for about two years during evenings when her mother worked, fathering her 1-year-old and a child she's carrying, Appleby said.

Police became privy to the assaults when an ex-boyfriend of the victim's came forward to officials at a local school Aug. 28 after Castillo had threatened him, Appleby said.

Castillo - who relatives reported had purchased a plane ticket to his native Honduras as DNA tests were pending - is charged with statutory rape and two counts of rape.

Gwinnett Magistrate Judge Gene Cantrell bound charges against him to Superior Court for indictment during a Tuesday morning probable cause hearing. Castillo's attorney, Thomas Clegg, did not argue for bond.

The victim initially told police the story she'd spun for relatives - that the children belonged to men she'd met but hardly knew in her apartment complex, Appleby said. After consenting to tests via DNA swabs, she changed her story, he said.

In interviews, the victim and her mother were "happy go-lucky," but "as soon as (Castillo) came home, the whole tone of the house seemed to change," Appleby testified.

Castillo remains at the Gwinnett County Jail without bond.

Earlier Tuesday, a Lawrenceville mother accused of trying to suffocate her 4-year-old daughter in kudzu near her home waived her chance at a bond hearing.

Cantrell rescheduled a hearing for Christiana Tetteh, 41, for Tuesday. Assistant District Attorney Richard Vandever said Tetteh's lawyer plans to waive that hearing, too, effectively sending the case to Superior Court for indictment.

Tetteh reportedly carried the girl into a woodsy patch near her Tumlin Trace home Sept. 18 and attempted to suffocate the child with her hands. She later called 911 to report the child dead. Police found the girl where she'd been left, crying but not permanently injured, authorities said.

Tetteh remains in jail without bond, charged with criminal attempt to commit murder. Police have not disclosed her motive for the alleged attempted murder.