LAWRENCEVILLE - Fourteen Gwinnett County schools leading the state in student achievement and improvement were recognized Tuesday by Georgia Superintendent of Schools Kathy Cox.
The schools were notified that they have received the Distinguished Achievement Award, which honors the top 10 Georgia schools with the highest achievement on state assessments, as well as those that made the greatest gains on the tests.
Brookwood Elementary, Riverside Elementary, Simpson Elementary, Crews Middle, Five Forks Middle, Osborne Middle, Pinckneyville Middle, Brookwood High, Meadowcreek High, Phoenix High, Shiloh High, GIVE Center East, GIVE Center West and Gwinnett School of Mathematics, Science, and Technology are among a group of Georgia schools honored in the second annual Superintendent's Distinguished Achievement Awards. Barrow County's Westside Middle also received an award.
"These awards reflect rigorous instruction provided by committed educators who engage learners with opportunities to apply knowledge and skills in an interactive environment of problem solving and decision making," said Dale Robbins, Gwinnett's associate superintendent for teaching and learning.
"(Gwinnett County Public Schools) believes in meeting the needs of all students by accelerating learning through appropriate academic extensions and interventions," he added. "Our approach to teaching and learning is focused on rigorous instructional activities designed to maximize student engagement and differentiated teaching strategies."
The awards program recognizes Georgia schools in two different categories - improvement, which honors schools that had the biggest increase in the percentage of students meeting or exceeding test standards, and achievement, which honors schools that had the most students exceeding test standards. Awards in both categories are given out by grade level and subject area.
Below is a list of schools that won awards:
Achievement on the Criterion-Referenced Competency Tests
· Brookwood Elementary: Grade 4 Mathematics
· Riverside Elementary: Grade 2 Reading
· Simpson Elementary: Grade 2 Reading, English/Language Arts and Mathematics; Grade 3 Reading and Mathematics; Grade 4 Reading and Social Studies; Grade 5 Reading and Mathematics
· Crews Middle: Grade 6 Science; Grade 7 Reading, Mathematics and Science; Grade 8 Mathematics, Science and Social Studies
· Five Forks Middle: Grade 7 Science
· Osborne Middle: Grade 6 English/Language Arts and Science; Grade 8 Mathematics, Science and Social Studies
Improvement on the CRCT
· GIVE Center East: Grade 6 Mathematics; Grade 7 Reading
· GIVE Center West: Grade 6 Mathematics
· Westside Middle: Grade 8 Mathematics
Achievement on the End of Course Test (EOCT)
· Brookwood High: U.S. History
· Gwinnett School of Mathematics, Science, and Technology: 9th Grade Literature and Composition
· Phoenix High: Physical Science
Improvement on the EOCT
· Shiloh High: U.S. History
Achievement on the Georgia High School Graduation Test
· Brookwood High: Mathematics, Science and Social Studies
Improvement on the GHSGT
· GIVE Center East: English/Language Arts, Mathematics, Science, Social Studies
· GIVE Center West: English/Language Arts, Mathematics, Science
· Meadowcreek High: English/Language Arts
Achievement on the writing test
· Brookwood Elementary: Grade 5
· Simpson Elementary: Grade 5
· Crews Middle: Grade 8
· Osborne Middle: Grade 8
· Pinckneyville Middle: Grade 8