The Gwinnett Braves earned an important win Friday, defeating the Norfolk Tides 4-3 at Harbor Park.
The G-Braves improved to 79-62, while the Tides fall to 70-69.
Syracuse and Durham also won Friday, so the G-Braves remain two games behind Durham in the South Division and 31/2 games ahead of Syracuse in the Wild Card race heading into the final three-game series of the regular season beginning tonight against Charlotte at Gwinnett Stadium.
Timely hits and heads-up base running early in the game ultimately led to the win for the G-Braves.
Gregor Blanco crossed the plate twice and was 1-for-3 with two walks. Brandon Jones, Wes Timmons and Barbaro Canizares each had an RBI. Jones was 2-for-4 on the night in the DH spot and led off the seventh inning with his 28th double of the season.
Center fielder Jonathan Tucker went 3-for-4 with an RBI to lead the Tides.
For Gwinnett, right-hander Bobby Brownlie earned the win, striking out five in six innings of work. Fellow right-hander Manny Acosta struck out three in 12/3 innings to get his second Triple-A save of the season.
Jake Arrieta was tagged with the loss after allowing four hits and one earned run in 41/3 innings.
First pitch is for tonight's series opener with Charlotte is scheduled for 6 p.m. Right-hander Ryne Reynoso is scheduled to make his Triple-A debut for the G-Braves against right-hander Brandon Hynick of the Knights.
SideBar: Up Next
· Who: Charlotte Knights
· Where: Gwinnett
· When: Today, 6 p.m.; Sunday-Monday 2 p.m.
· Radio: WDUN 550-AM
· Affiliation: Chicago White Sox
· Manager: Chris Chambliss
· Season series:
Charlotte lead 10-8
· Changes, changes: For the first time all season, the rotation spot assigned to RHP Todd Redmond will be filled by another name. Redmond, who pitched his last game Aug. 31, will pitch this month for USA Baseball. RHP Ryne Reynoso (7-9, 3.47 ERA in Class AA) will start in Redmond's place.
· Knights update: They may be well out of the playoff chase, but the Charlotte Knights continue to take their toll on the G-Braves. Gwinnett holds its worst head-to-head record in the South division against the Knights. ... Just like end-of-season call-ups hit the G-Braves, they have taken a toll on Charlotte. RHP Daniel Hudson (2-0, 3.00 ERA) was called up to the White Sox Thursday and RHP reliever Jhonny Nunez (5-0, 2.55 ERA) left for the Windy City with him. ... SS Justin Fuller and RHP Daniel Wiltz (4-2, 2.78 ERA in rookie league) recently joined the team.
· Did you know? The G-Braves are less than 1,000 people away from hitting the 400,000 home attendance mark for the season. A celebration is planned for lucky fun.