Jury convicts man in casket kidnapping

RIVERSIDE, Calif. - A California man accused of kidnapping a woman, holding her in a makeshift casket and demanding $140,000 ransom has been convicted and faces up to life in prison.

Mark Herbert Warren of Victorville was convicted Friday of kidnapping for ransom, burglary and assault with a deadly weapon in the 2007 attack.

Prosecutors say the 50-year-old contractor attacked the woman with a stun gun at her Riverside home, handcuffed her, covered her head with a hood, and placed her in a casket-like box inside his van. The victim's husband returned home to find a ransom letter and photographs of her being restrained.

2 dead after hours in sweat lodge identified

PRESCOTT, Ariz. - Two people who died after sitting in an Arizona resort's sauna-like sweat lodge were identified Saturday as a 40-year-old Wisconsin man and a 38-year-old New York woman.

James Shore of Milwaukee and Kirby Brown of Westtown, N.Y., died Thursday night after being overcome in a sweat lodge during a spiritual cleansing ceremony. Nineteen others were taken to area hospitals, but most were soon released. One remained in critical condition on Saturday.

Yavapai County sheriff Steve Waugh said Saturday that his detectives are focusing on self-help expert and author James Arthur Ray and his staff as they try to determine if criminal negligence played a role in the deaths. No charges have been filed.

9-year-old accidentally hangs himself

AZTEC, N.M. - Authorities in New Mexico said a 9-year-old boy is dead after accidentally hanging himself while playing on a hoist in his yard.

San Juan County sheriff's Capt. Jim Smith said the boy and a companion were playing on the metal A-frame hoist Friday afternoon at a home near Aztec. Smith said the boy was standing on a folding table under the hoist and placed a rope attached to the hoist around his neck.

The table then collapsed, and the boy's friend ran inside the house for help. The boy's father untangled the boy, took him inside and started CPR. Smith said deputies arrived within a minute to assist. Rescue crews took the boy to San Juan Regional Medical Center, but he couldn't be revived.