Wesleyan 56, Prince Avenue 7

BOGART - The Wesleyan Wolves had little trouble defeating the Prince Avenue Wolverines on Friday night, rolling to a 56-7 victory and their seventh straight win of the season.

The scoring started for the Wolves less than two minutes into the opening quarter and it came by way of the defensive secondary.

On the game's opening possession, Wesleyan defensive back Devin Stanton picked off Wolverine quarterback Jones Farriba's first pass attempt and returned it 35 yards to the end zone.

Farriba's troubles didn't stop there. The Wolves' ball-hawking defense forced two more first-quarter interceptions and that led to 21 Wesleyan points.

"I was really excited that we were able to create some opportunities on defense," head coach Franklin Pridgen said. "We haven't scored on defense yet this season.

"We were able to score quickly with the interception return for a touchdown from Devin Stanton and we got two other picks, one from Davis Brown who almost got in to the end zone."

Linebacker Anderson Porter picked off Farriba for the second time as the Wolverines struggled to find any offensive identity throughout the first half.

After the game's second turnover, Wolves quarterback Conor Welton ran it in from seven yards out. A 55-yard touchdown run from running back Kyle Karempelis followed and Wesleyan was well on its way.

The first quarter scoring ended with a one-yard touchdown run from Karempelis. It came courtesy of a 22-yard interception return by Wolves linebacker Davis Brown that left the ball just outside the goal line.

The Wolves' aerial attack opened up in the second quarter. Welton was perfect, going 3-for-3 with three touchdown passes to extend the Wolves lead to 49-0.

Touchdown tosses of 47, 7 and 26 yards from Welton capped off an impressive night for the Wesleyan quarterback and head coach Franklin Pridgen decided to rest his starting signal caller in the second half.

Welton finished 5-for-6 for 97 yards and four TDs (one rushing) while Karempelis ended his night with 116 yards on the ground. He averaged 14.5 yards a carry and had two rushing touchdowns.

"I thought it was a real complete effort tonight," Pridgen said. "We were able to do everything we wanted on offense and really controlled the tempo.

"Besides a holding penalty that called back a big run, there aren't too many negatives to take away from tonight ... we'll enjoy this one for a couple days and get ready for Commerce next Friday."