3120 Mathis Airport Parkway, Suite 100, Suwanee
· Open since: March
· Location: Chepe's is located in a Publix shopping center at the intersection of Old Atlanta Road and Mathis Airport Parkway, near Windermere and Laurel Springs country clubs.
· Hours: 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Sundays through Wednesdays and 11 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. Thursdays through Saturdays
· Owners: Jose Rodriguez and Kelly Martin
· Atmosphere: With rich red walls and wood tables that were crafted on site, Chepe's has a warm, rustic feel. "We wanted to try to make the furniture a part of the decoration," Rodriguez said. "Everything is custom built except for the chairs."
The restaurant has tables and booths as well as a bar area. Chepe's serves lunch, but most people come to the restaurant for dinner.
"We're a neighborhood place," Rodriguez said. "Some people say we're the Mexican 'Cheers.'"
· Menu: Everything at Chepe's is made from fresh ingredients. Nothing is prepackaged, so the restaurant makes its own guacamole and salsa and shreds lettuce on site. "That's why our slogan is 'Always friendly, always fresh," Rodriguez said.
Like other Mexican restaurants, Chepe's serves combination dinners, but this Mexican grill specializes in unique dishes such as the seafood burrito and chipotle shrimp tacos.
Some favorite dishes include Chepe's fish tacos - three tacos filled with tilapia sauteed in garlic butter and topped with chipotle sauce, avocado and pico de gallo - and carne asada - an 8 ounce marinated, grilled skirt steak served on a bed of sizzling bell peppers and onions.
For dessert, Chepe's offers flan and sopapillas, but Rodriguez recommends the chocolate chimichanga.
· Things you might not know: All of the restaurant's decorations were hand-picked in Mexico. Rodriguez said he flew to Guadalajara to shop for the ornaments that adorn the walls.
SideBar: On The Menu
· Caldo de pollo - Seasoned chicken in chicken broth, served with Mexican rice, Chepe's special sauce and pico de gallo and topped with tortilla strips and avocado. $4.99
· Chepe's fish tacos - Three tacos filled with tilapia sauteed in garlic butter and topped with chipotle sauce, avocado and pico de gallo and served with Mexican rice and beans on the side. $9.99
· Loaded burrito - A large flour tortilla filled with grilled steak or chicken, Mexican rice and beans, onions, cilantro, and mild or hot sauce and topped with sour cream and avocado slices, served on a bed of tortilla strips. $7.99