1250 Auburn Road, Dacula 770-995-9655
· Open since: July
· Location: Fatso's is at the intersection of Old Fountain and Jim Moore roads along Auburn Road.
· Hours: Fatso's is open from 11 a.m. to 1 a.m. Monday through Thursday, 11 a.m. to 2 a.m. Fridays and Saturdays, and noon to midnight Sundays. The kitchen closes two hours before the establishment closes down.
· Owners: Gwinnett residents Al Johnson and Mona Gore.
· Atmosphere: Walk into Fatso's and the first thing you see is the bar area, where three small flatscreen TVs and one large flatscreen are usually set to sports channels. To both the right and left of the bar are dining areas offering regular and high-top table seating also surrounded by flatscreen TVs. From any seat inside Fatso's, at least four TVs are visible.
A patio offers an outdoor seating option, where large umbrellas provide shade for each table.
· Menu: Fatso's offers up a mixed menu of sports bar fare, including burgers, sandwiches and wings, paired with heavier hitters, such as the 22-ounce hand-cut ribeye, center-cut pork filet medallions and slow-cooked baby back ribs.
Popular menu items include the Fatso's signature salad, a mix of field greens topped with gorgonzola cheese, candied walnuts, applewood smoked bacon bits and sliced red onions, all tossed in a honey Dijon dressing.
The flatbread Cuban is another popular selection, made with thinly sliced pastrami on toasted, marbled rye bread with thousand island dressing, shredded sauerkraut and Swiss cheese.
Fatso's also offers menu items on "the skinny side," including the grouper dinner - two six-ounce grouper filets lightly seasoned and grilled and served with steamed broccoli and rice pilaf - and the Hawaiian chicken - a 6-ounce chicken breast marinated and grilled and topped with a seared pineapple slice and cheese served with skin-on garlic mashed potatoes and coleslaw.
· Things you might not know: Fatso's offers up a challenge: Consume a monstrous, two-pound Creek Stone Angus burger in 30 minutes and the $24 burger is free. Meet the challenge and get your name added to a plaque of previous winners. The current record is 11 minutes.
SideBar: On the Menu
· Fried mushrooms - Hand-breaded and fried mushrooms topped with shredded Parmesan cheese and parsley and served with a creamy chili dipping sauce, $6
· Crab stick salad - Iceberg and romaine lettuce tossed with shredded carrots and topped with cucumbers, shredded crab sticks, cilantro and fried rice noodles served with a side of homemade Ponzu dressing, $9
· Pork tenderloin sandwich - Center-cut pork loin breaded and fried golden brown and served on a toasted onion bun with shredded lettuce, tomato and a side of creamy chili sauce, $8
· 12-ounce hand-cut ribeye - Certified Black Angus beef grilled over an open flame and served with skin-on garlic mashed potatoes and a Fatso's signature salad, $18