Breaking News

Man found dead at Duluth apartment complex April 19, 2014

0

3 displaced in chimney fire

LILBURN - A blaze traced to a fireplace displaced a family of three on Hollow Tree Lane in Lilburn early Wednesday morning, officials said.

Dispatched to the two-story home at 12:57 a.m., firefighters found flames coming from the roof and attic on arrival. The bulk of the fire was brought under control by 1:25 a.m., Fire Department spokesman Capt. Thomas Rutledge said.

"All the occupants were out safe when the fire department and police arrived at the scene," Rutledge said.

The blaze caused moderate damage to the chimney and attic area over the garage, he said.

The family - two adults and one child - were displaced due to the damage and because power had to be cut to the residence.

The cause of the fire appears accidental. It originated from a small fire in the fireplace, Rutledge said.