WORLD IN BRIEF: UK police suspect pilot of being drunk

UK police suspect pilot of being drunk

LONDON -- A United Airlines pilot was arrested aboard a flight to Chicago on suspicion of being drunk, police and an airline official said Tuesday.

Scotland Yard said the 51-year-old was arrested aboard United Airlines Flight 949, due to fly from London's Heathrow Airport to Chicago, shortly after noon on Monday. A spokesman for the police force said officers arrested the man ''on suspicion of being aviation staff whilst exceeding the prescribed alcohol limit.''

A spokesman said police arrested the pilot on the plane but could not say whether he was in the cockpit or how close the flight was to taking off. He said the pilot had been given a breathalyzer test and that results were expected shortly. He added that the man, whom he did not identify, has been released on bail.

NATO seizes bomb-making materials

KABUL -- International troops and Afghan police seized 250 tons of ammonium nitrate fertilizer -- enough to make up to a couple hundred roadside bombs, the Taliban's most lethal weapon in what has been the deadliest year of the war, NATO announced Tuesday.

Separately, video footage emerged of insurgents brandishing what appears to be limited stocks of U.S. ammunition in a remote area of eastern Afghanistan where eight Americans died in a battle last month.

Sunday's raids in the southern city of Kandahar appeared to net one of the largest hauls of the war. NATO officials hoped the fertilizer seizure would hurt Taliban militants, whose homemade bombs have become the biggest killer of U.S. and allied troops.

Korea clash before visit from Obama

SEOUL, South Korea -- The navies of North and South Korea clashed at sea Tuesday for the first time in seven years in what some analysts said was a provocation by the communist nation a week before President Barack Obama's visit to Seoul.

The North Korean ship retreated in flames, South Korean Prime Minister Chung Un-chan said, and the South's YTN television reported that one North Korean officer was killed and three other sailors were wounded.

The South Korean Joint Chiefs of Staff said it could not confirm the report of the North Korean casualties. There were no South Korean casualties, the military said.