Library Champion Award recipients named
LAWRENCEVILLE - The Gwinnett County Public Library recently announced the recipients of the Library Champion Award, a recognition created this year by library officials to honor the support and contributions from individuals in the community.
Nominations were made by library staff members, and the award was given during Love Your Library Week in April.
This year's Library Champion was Pat Rydell, a Lawrenceville branch volunteer who committed every Thursday morning for years to the library. She shelved books, straightened displays and had an excellent eye for cataloging discrepancies. She often brought the staff homegrown pears and berries. Rydell recently passed away.
Honorable mention awards were given to the following people:
· Eleanor "Ellie" Stone, who faithfully dedicated more than 410 volunteer hours in 2007 and 2008 to the Interlibrary Loan Department.
· Glenn Henson, a Lawrenceville branch volunteer who accrued more than 1,325 volunteer hours since 2003.
· Nona Patterson, a lifelong supporter of libraries and current president of the Friends of Gwinnett County Public Library who initiated the start-up of the new Friends organization.
· Donna Blanton, an avid user and staunch supporter of the Norcross branch.
· Nolly Dyste, a leader in the Hispanic community who has been instrumental in introducing many Latino families to the library.
· Hoonsil Kim and her son, Kyungmin, who have been faithful volunteers for nearly five years and dedicate their time every Sunday to the Collins Hill branch.
· Merwin Chambers, a longtime supporter of the library who currently serves as treasurer for the Friends of Gwinnett County Public Library.