Tuesday, March 31, 2009
© Copyright 2014
Gwinnett Daily Post
SNELLVILLE - A Sunday afternoon fire in the 2400 block of Mistletoe Lane in Snellville displaced a family of six, officials said.
The fire, reported at 1:20 p.m., appears to have originated in a fireplace that occupants had ignited for warmth, Fire Department spokesman Capt. Thomas Rutledge said.
"They heard a cracking sound from the attic area above the kitchen," Rutledge said. "They went outside and saw the chimney chase engulfed in flames."
The blaze caused heavy damage to the two-story structure. The family was displaced but did not request Red Cross assistance, Rutledge said.
Fire investigators ruled the blaze accidental. A woman who lived at the home was evaluated and released at the scene for a minor medical emergency unrelated to the fire, Rutledge said.